How to host a dedicated NoX server on Linux? (ANSWERED)

Everything about NoX as a game.

How to host a dedicated NoX server on Linux? (ANSWERED)

Postby SpicyTorchic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm am a US citizen looking to be able to host a NoX dedicated server, I've been able to host one on my main windows machine through the game itself but am confused and cannot find an answer to how to host a dedicated server on a Linux based machine. If anyone could point me in the right direction to where I could learn how to do this, that would be great, thank you.
Last edited by SpicyTorchic on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpicyTorchic
Initiate
Initiate

Re: How to host a dedicated NoX server on Linux?

Postby SpicyTorchic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:16 pm

I guess I figured out a working solution.

I used UltraVNC to get into my Unbuntu VPS, then downloaded the latest version of wine, then used wine to install Nox, then installed Westwood Online via an installer I found on the web (Nox Solution doesn't seem to work on wine on linux because everytime I tried it showed up prompting for me to insert a CD). I opened up Nox and forwarded the port 18590 on my router and started hosting a server. It seems to work alright, give me some of your thoughts, the game is called "Spicy's Server."
"
NOTE: If when you try to load up Nox on wine and it just immedietly closes out complaining about something like "No matching mode found 640x480x16", then go to wine and type "winecfg", and click on the audio or sound tab and let it just set it up, and go to your graphics tab, and check "Emulate a Virtual Desktop", and set the resolution to "640x480". Then go to wine and type "regedit". First expand ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER’, then ‘Software’, then ‘Wine’. You may see a key named ‘Direct3D’. If you do not, simple create one in that folder by right clicking and doing New > Key > name it Direct3D. Now go to the Direct3D key you have just made and make string values by right clicking and doing New > String Value. Take your time doing this part. Create a string named, ‘VideoMemorySize’ and then double click on it and enter the amount of memory your video card contains with integers only, do not enter MB, Megabyte, ect. Ex. I would simply enter 256 for my 256MB video card. This one will increase your performance by a lot but may sacrifice your stability and support. It is worth a shot and I would recommend at least trying it. Create another key just as you had done for VideoMemorySize. This time name it, ‘DirectDrawRenderer’ and set it to ‘opengl’.

EDIT: I'M NOT 100% SURE, BUT I THINK NOX WILL ONLY WORK WITH WINE 2.0.2!!!
SpicyTorchic
Initiate
Initiate

Return to NoX discussion